Monday, September 19, 2011

Spelling City

Let me introduce you to one of my favorite websites, Spelling City! Why do I love this site so much? Here are just some of the things I like about this web 2.0 app.

First, I have entered every spelling list that we study this year. If you click on the link above, or the link on the sidebar of this blog, you will be taken to my "home page" on Spelling City. Here are each of the spelling lists we use in the fifth grade. You will need to scroll down toward the bottom half of the list as I have also included a modified list used by some of my students. All students this year are using the regular list. Just look for the lesson of the week we are using. For example, this week you will look for "Lesson 2".

Once you have selected the appropriate list you have tons of options. You can print out the list, you can print out handwriting models (cursive practice!), or you can choose to have it teach you the spelling word by word. You can take a vocab test and learn the tricky words, and you can print out flash cards or view flash cards online.

As if this weren't enough we have a "Play a Game" option which provides activities that will be an engaging way to practice your words each week. Students really enjoy Hang Mouse, Unscramble, Word-O-Rama, and Letter Fall among others!

In class students are each given a username and password to use when signing on to this site. Students can use the site without signing in, but more options are available if they do sign in. Not only that, but I am able to see what activities students are using and their success rate. I can follow how much (or how little) time students have spent using this wonderful resource to help improve their spelling.

Please visit this site and let me know what you like best!

No comments: